Notice: Law Society of Kenya Annual General Meeting - Saturday 28th March, 2020 at 11:00am28 February, 2020 11:44 AM Nairobi Communications
In line with Section 30 of the Law Society of Kenya Act, 2014, the Council of the Law Society of Kenya is required to hold an Ordinary General Meeting of the Society in the month of March every year. The Ordinary General Meeting that was scheduled to be held on the 28th March 2020 was put off until further notice due to the Covid-19 global pandemic and subsequent Government restrictions banning the holding of public gatherings as a measure for containment of the spread of Covid-19 virus.
In order to facilitate the holding of the Ordinary General Meeting in line with the Law Society of Kenya Act, 2014 and Regulations thereto, the Council in its meeting held on the 11th May 2020, resolved to hold the Ordinary General Meeting virtually. Consequently, the Council filed Nairobi High Court Misc. Application, HCCOMMMISC/E729/2020(OS) which was allowed on 16th June, 2020 (Click Here, to view the pleadings and Click Here to view the judgment of the Court) granting that the AGM be held through an online platform.
Therefore, Pursuant to Part VI of the Law Society of Kenya Act 2014, Regulation 75 (1) of the Law Society of Kenya (General) Regulations 2020, and the ruling given by the Court in Nairobi High Court Misc. Application, HCCOMMMISC/E729/2020(OS), NOTICE IS HEREBY given that an ORDINARY GENERAL MEETING of the Law Society of Kenya is convened for and shall take place at the Offices of the Law Society of Kenya along Gitanga Road virtually through the Zoom/Webinar Platform at 10:00am on Thursday, 23rd July, 2020. Click Here to access details on how to register for the Annual General Meeting.
N/B: Deadline for registration is Wednesday 22nd July 2020 at 5:00pm.
1. Secretary to read the Notice convening the Meeting.
2. Adoption of the Agenda.
3. Silence in tribute to members departed.
4. Deliberations and ratification of the manner of assumption and term of office of the Council.
5. Confirmation of Minutes of the Ordinary General Meeting (AGM) held on 30th March 2019 at Bomas of Kenya.Click Here for a copy of the minutes
6. Matters Arising.
7. Report of the Council pursuant to Section 30 of the Law Society of Kenya Act.
8. Presentation of the Accounts and Balance Sheet for the year ended 31st December 2019, pursuant to Section 38(2) of the Law Society of Kenya Act and the appointment of the Society’s Auditors. (Copy of the Accounts can be accessed on the link LSK Audited Financial Statements 2019)
9. Motion on the Optimization of the Law Society of Kenya Properties: The case for optimization and development of Gitanga Road and the South C plots. (Copy of the Motion can be accessed on the link Motion by the Council on Development of Law Society of Kenya Properties)
10. Consideration of a proposal by the Council to Sell the South C property and utilize the proceeds thereof towards the development of the Gitanga Road Property Click Here for the copy of the Motion.
11. Motion on the funds held by the Law Society of Kenya on account of International Arbitration Centre Project.
12. Motion on expulsion of Paul Kihara Kariuki (P.105/969/78) and Kennedy Nyabuti Ogeto (P.105/2129/91) from the membership of the Law Society of Kenya (Click Here to access a copy of the Motion)
13. Consideration of the Law Society of Kenya Sexual Harassment and Anti-Bullying Policy (2019) and if members deem it fit, by a resolution, approve with or without amendments the Policy pursuant to Section 4 and 5 of the Law Society of Kenya Act, 2014. (Copy of the Draft Policy can be accessed on the link LSK Draft Sexual Harassment and Bullying Policy 2019)
14. Consideration of the Draft Law Society of Kenya Public Interest Litigation Code (2018) and if members deem it fit, by a resolution, approve with or without amendments the Code pursuant to Section 4 and 5 of the Law Society of Kenya Act, 2014. (Copy of the Draft Code can be accessed on the link Draft Law Society of Kenya Public Interest Litigation Code 2018)
15. Consideration of the Draft Law Society of Kenya Anti-Money Laundering Guidelines and if members deem it fit, by a resolution, approve with or without amendments the Guidelines pursuant to Section 4 and 5 of the Law Society of Kenya Act, 2014. (Copy of the Draft Guidelines can be accessed on link Draft Law Society of Kenya Anti-Money Laundering Guidelines)
16. Election of the Society Representatives to the Committee on Senior Counsel pursuant to the Advocates (Senior Counsel Conferment and Privileges) Rules, 2011.
17. Notice of motion by members given to the Secretary (if any).Notice of Motion 2 by Aoko Otieno iii. Notice of Motion 3 by Aoko Otieno iv. Notice of Motion 4 by Godrick Kennedy v. Notice of Motion 5 by Sylvester Mbithi vi. Notice of Motion 6 by Titus Makhanu vii. Notice of Motion 7 by Amanya Cohen viii. Notice of Motion 8 by Amanya Cohen ix. Notice of Motion 9 by Gathii Irungu x. Notice of Motion 10 by Majimbo Georgiadis xi. Notice of Motion 11 by Amanya Cohen xii. Notice of Motion 12 by Gad Gathu xiii. Notice of Motion 13 by Ochiel J. Dudley xiv. Notice of Motion 14 by Abidha Nicholus xv. Notice of Motion 15 by Charles Kanjama xvi. Notice of Motion 16 by Charles Kanjama xvii. Notice of Motion 17 by Eric Theuri xviii. Notice of Motion 18 by Ramadhani Abubakar Mukira
18. Any other business which may be admitted.
N/B.Members are requested to submit comments/interventions on any agenda item to the Secretariat in advance through email@example.com.
BY ORDER OF COUNCIL
MERCY K. WAMBUA, OGW