On 27th January 2023, the Council of Law Society of Kenya, led by president Eric Theuri, paid a courtesy call on the Machakos Law Courts where a few concerns were highlighted;
- The Council was informed by the Judiciary and Branch Chair that the land where Machakos Law Courts is sitting does not have a title deed and its also small for expansion. The Judiciary and Branch Chair requested the Council to intervene with the County Government for some assistance.
- It was noted that the Plot adjacent to the Law Courts belongs to the County Government and can either be donated to the Judiciary for expansion if the County can’t get a bigger Land elsewhere for building of New Courts.
- It was also noted that the Adjudicator of the Small Claims Court will be proceeding on maternity leave and therefore there’s need for another adjudicator to relieve her as soon as possible.
- The Council assured the Judiciary of its support and intervention on the issues.
- The President was taken for a tour of all the Registries in Machakos Law Courts and the President appreciated the work being done by the Judges, Magistrates and Judicial Staff.
Further, the Council of Law Society of Kenya met with the South Eastern membership for an interactive session to discuss issues affecting the functionality of the branch.
The issues highlighted by the branch included: payment of Probono cases, lack of enough judicial officer at the Machakos Law Courts, challenges with the PCs application among others. The President Eric Theuri assured the membership that the National office will intervene.